Re: Magento shopping cart

Your designer will definitely be able to skin it, it has multi template and
skin system, is easy to customize css, images, and html code for each block

However, for changing the layout (position of each block), it will require
your designer have a little knowledge on Mage's xml layout system (magento
had published a book for designer), or you can leave this job to your
developer...