Re: database abstraction layer

i haven't had the pleasure yet of writing for sites that generate so many
hits/sec that
they'd update the max value of any table at exactly the same time.

i usually ask for the max value about 2 milliseconds before doing the
insert.
And if the insert fails, i can auto-retry via a wrapper function after
sleep(rand(1,3));
I dare say i could work this way at facebook <g> (not that i really want to,
happy with where i am)