Re: Question on XML/XSL/PHP/MySQL

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 03:39 -0800, Ryan Park wrote:

> My only reason doing this because I could use XSL as my templating
> engine; achieve the separation of content, design, and code. But in
> order to use XSL I need to use XML. XML needs to big if I want to use
> the data from the huge MySQL database.
>
> On 1/27/2010 3:32 AM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 03:31 -0800, Ryan Park wrote:
> >> Hypothetically say that I have MySQL with petabytes of data. I want to
> >> use XSL as my template language. But in order to use XSL, I need to make
> >> XML filled with petabytes of data. This does not sound elaborate way to
> >> use XSL/XML; I would rather use PHP/MySQL/Smarty. Is there a way around
> >> this so that I can use XSL instead of Smarty?
> >>

> > I'm not really sure what you want to achieve here, as all of those
> > languages do quite different things! And I wouldn't ever recommend
> > having a single XML file with petabytes of data, that's just asking
> > for trouble!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

The XML need only be as big as the final output that your XSL creates.
What I would do is use PHP to do any of the server-side operations, like
connect to MySQL and arrange the data, and then have PHP output the XML.
You could then use XSL to output the XML into something else, such as
HTML, pdf, etc.