Re: Reliable way to identify Ogg types?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:23:24PM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> When I use fileinfo on an uploaded Ogg file, the mime it returns is
> Application/Ogg which is almost useless.
>
> Is there a reliable php way, preferably without needing to execute shell
> commands, to positively identify a file as Ogg Theora or Ogg Vorbis?

Judging by the return, the OS is looking at the mime.types file, which
(on my box at least) doesn't know anything more than this.

In order to get what you want, I'm afraid you might have to open the
file and examine its first few bytes using the data from
/usr/share/file/magic, which has a more thoroughgoing understanding of
ogg files. Unless someone's built a class which does this for you.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster