Re: Users, groups, and permissions

clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am using a Quadra Hosting Multi Domain (http://www.quadrahosting.com.au/) to host five
> different domains. As site owner I have FTP access to the root directory, and to
> everything underneath it. There is no domain directly attached to the root. Each domain
> has its own directory tree under the root directory, and I have a separate directory
> Engine containing the PHP code for all the sites. Each domain directory has a series of
> data files defining the various pages, optionally some configuration files, and a very
> short program index.php, which sets up a few user variables, and then passes control to
> the main program in Engine (by including it). The Engine processes a set of parameters,
> and from these generates the actual page which is passed to the user. The data files are
> almost entirely simple text files, and I do not use a database.
>
> The permissions are currently as they were set up by the provider. All directories in the
> system have permissions drwxr-xr-x, and all other files rw-r--r-- (when I read them as
> site owner -- I don't know if they are somehow changed when I access the site by
> downloading a page from one of the domains). I can load and run any of the files in Engine
> by including them into Index.php, and I can include images anywhere in the domain in the
> current page. I can also download them directly by quoting their full path. I can also
> show pages defined by data files in Engine, but I can neither show nor download images in
> Engine. I haven't tried accessing pages in other domains.
>
> As the permissions for group and others are the same for all directories, and all files, I
> don't understand how I can download images in the current domain, but not in Engine. Is it
> possible to reset the permissions so that different values are seen from different
> domains, and how can I tell which group I am actually in when I access a particular
> domain? Also is it possible to temporarily include a user in group, if they are not
> already there?
>
> Clancy.
>
> (The PHP manual has been down all day, and Google is not particularly helpful for this
> type of thing unless you already know the terminology, so I have largely been floundering
> in the dark. And when you look up 'user permissions' most books immediately assume
> database.)

Hi Clancy,

If I read what you are saying correctly you have the following directory
tree

/SiteA/ <-- domain files
/SiteB/ <-- domain files
/SiteC/ <-- domain files
/Engine <-- private files

if this is correct then:

www.somesite.com is mapped to /SiteA/

so if you have the file /SiteA/test.jpg you can access it via
www.somesite.com/test.jpg

if I'm still correct.. then the problem is that /Engine/ *is not* mapped
to any domain - thus you can't access it via http.

Any request to www.somesite.com/Engine/test.jpg will map to
/SiteA/Engine/test.jpg and not /Engine/test.jpg as you'd want.

If I'm wrong the you need to explain some more :)

Regards,

Nathan