RE: How do I remove unused GET parameters from the URL?

Comments inline below...

True, but for search parameters, it's IMHO best to use GET rather than POST
so the page can be bookmarked.

This used to be a concern "back in the day" with 255 bytes.

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/what-is-the-limit-on-querystring/get/url
-parameters.html

Not so much anymore with most browsers supporting > 2000 characters:

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/misc/urllength.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/417142/what-is-the-maximum-length-of-an-
url

Re-writing it to handle $_REQUEST doesn't seem to solve much as the user
would still need to know the form element names and the actual form would
be either POST/GET. GET is the problem I have now. POST is a whole other
problem of not being able to bookmark.

Also a very valid point that I hadn't fully considered.

> also you could just pass the url through to an url shrinker;
> if you use
> the api of bit.ly or suchlike you could do this serverside;
> and reap the benefits of stats for each search too.

This is for an internal intranet site so I can't use an outside shrinker,
however I suspect the code to create my own shrinker isn't so difficult and
this is a pretty interesting idea. Given your above observation, perhaps
this *is* the solution to persue further...

Way to think outside the box Nathan! :)

ÐÆ5ÏÐ
http://daevid.com