Re: Notices flooding logs with fastcgi

2010/1/18 Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 12:20 +0000, Max Zimmermann wrote:
>>
>>  Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I have chosen this list because my problem is related to one particular
>>> style of php installation. At least I think so.
>>>
>>> I'm running php 5.2.11 and plesk 9.2.3, php through fastCGI.
>>>
>>> My problem is that, since error_log is unset, php passes on any errors
>>> to the webserver (-handler). This fills up my logs with hundreds of
>>> MBytes of Notices every day, even though error_reporting is set to 6135
>>> (notices shouldn't be logged).
>>> So error_reporting appears to be ignored when error_log is unset and php
>>> is run through fastcgi. Any idea how I can fix that?
>>> I unfortunately can't change error_log to the appropriate path, because
>>> the fastcgi user doesn't have access to the log directory...
>>>
>>> Here is an example log:
>>> [Mon Oct 26 00:57:52 2009] [warn] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Notice:
>>> Undefined offset: 1 in
>>> /srv/www/vhosts/XXXX/httpdocs/
>>> x3/inc/shopstat_functions.inc.php on line 82
>>>
>>> Thanks so much in advance,
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Max
>>>

>>> GNU/Linux - User #477672
>>> PGP: 0x6C29B594
>>>

>> I believe that the reporting level is only used for errors displayed in
>> the browser window, not to the ones that are logged.
>>

> The error_reporting setting controls both logged and displayed errors.
>
> @Max ... is it possible your application is resetting error_reporting after
> you set it manually? Maybe try a recursive grep on the source tree for
> error_reporting.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
> --
> http://www.interjinn.com
> Application and Templating Framework for PHP

Hey Rob,

thanks for your reply. No, unfortunately this seems to be a problem with
fastCGI, since phpinfo() run somewhere inside the script still says that the
error_reporting is set correctly. It just doesn't seem have any influence
when errors are logged by the SAPI handler.

But since this appears to be not easily changeable right now, I'm going to
go with Richard's idea.

Thanks all of you for helping! :)

Best,

Max