Re: PHP & MS Sequel Server

On Jan 17, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 10:47 -0800, dealtek wrote:

http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/MS-SQL-Server/Using-PHP-with-MS-SQL- Server/ This article seems to sate that PHP can interface with MS Sequel Server ? If so, is it about the same level of complexity as working with PHP & MySQL? If one was to choose php & one DB over the other in a general comparison (not cost): any preferences?

You can use PHP and MSSQL quite happily together on either Apache or IIS. I've found a few disadvantages to MSSQL other than the cost factor though:

MySQL is faster in the main for the sorts of things I've thrown at it
I've not found a phpMyAdmin equivalent, which means you'd have to use the non-web interface that MS gives you unless you want to open all sorts of ports to connect remotely Depending on the version you may be missing out on certain features. I had to use a version of MSSQL once that had no LIMIT capabilities, only TOP, which made things a lot more difficult PHP doesn't have a mysql_real_escape_string equivalent for MSSQL, which is used to sanitise data for insertion based on the character set being used. MSSQL doesn't allow you to use different database engines for different tables, it only has the JET engine as far as I know, so you wouldn't be able to optimise on a table-by-table basis by using different storage engines.

Thanks so much Ashley for the clear - quick response!!!

The project in question is a pre existing site in .asp and MS SQL Server . The owner was inquiring as to adding additional modules (and small satellite websites) - most of which will not intersect with .asp but might use the MS SQL Server database... I suggested they find an .asp programmer but they might want PHP ...

Thanks,
dealtek@xxxxxxxxx
[db-10]