Count the Number of Certain Elements in An Array

Hi,

  This seems like a pretty simple problem, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out. I have a lot of elements in an array, and some of them are duplicates, but I don't want to delete them because I have other purposes for it. Is it possible for me to find out the number of certain elements in an array?

  For example,

   // Create a simple array.
   $array = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3,3,4,2);
   $total = count($array);
   echo $total;

  If I run the code, the value of $total would be 9. However, what I really want to do is to get the values of the different instances of each, like:

   1 => 1
   2 => 2
   3 => 3
   4=>  2
   5=>  1

Is there a simple code that I use to find this out?

Thanks for your help.

Alice

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390707/direct/01/