Re: Re: First time PHP user question

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 09:19 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> Rick Dwyer wrote:
> > Hello List.
> > I have been playing around with PHP, running a few tutorials and I came
> > across an error message I could not resolve.
> >
> > The tutorial is Generating One Time URL's by Oreilly:
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/php/2002/12/05/one_time_URLs.html
> >
> > Basically the PHP code is supposed to read from a text file and write to
> > a text file and serve a text file all located in the "tmp" directory of
> > the server.
> >
> > However, I receive the error that the referenced files in the PHP code
> > could not be found:
> > "Warning: readfile(/tmp/secret_file.txt) [function.readfile]: failed to
> > open stream: No such file or directory
> > in/home/mysite/myfolder/get_file.php on line 67"
> >
> > Line 66 and 67 look like this:
> >
> > $secretfile = "/tmp/secret_file.txt";
> > readfile($secretfile);
> >

> > However, in the tmp folder, I have created a simple text file called
> > "secret_file.txt" so I know it exists and it has the permissions set to
> > 644, so it should be readable.
> >
> > Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong?  Thanks,
> >

> try permissions of 777 and see if the error disappears; odds are v high
> that the httpd user php is running under doesn't have group or owner
> permissions for /tmp & that secret file.
>
> regards

That shouldn't fix it. 644 permissions allow the owner, group users and
anybody else to read file. Have you tried
is_file("/tmp/secret_file.txt"); to see if it actually exists? Also,
don't forget that Linux is case sensitive when it comes to filenames, so
secret_file.txt is completely different from Secret_File.txt, and
in-fact you can validly have both in the same directory.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk