RE: SVG and PHP

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 15:15 -0500, Alice Wei wrote:

> Hi,
>

>   Just went online and saw an SVG generated from Python, and wanted to do the similar thing by loading the SVG into an PHP script. Here is the script that I have:
>

> <?php
>

> #Load the Map
>
> $ourFileName= "USA_Counties_with_FIPS_and_names.svg";
>
> $fh = fopen($ourFileName, "r") or die("Can't open file");
>
> fclose($fh);
>

> ?>
>

> The problem is that my screen appears as blank even though I could open up USA_Counties_with_FIPS_and_names.svg and see the entire US Map. Does anyone know what I might have done wrong here?
>
> Aren't you just opening the file? I think that you need to print it in some way suitable to your application.
>

> Try using fread() or other function to read the contents of the file.
>
>   Well, I tried, and here is the complete code of the portion I just edited:
>
> #Load the Map
> $ourFileName= "USA_Counties_with_FIPS_and_names.svg";
> $fh = fopen($ourFileName, "r") or die("Can't open file");
> $contents = fread($fh,filesize($ourFileName));
> echo $contents;
> fclose($fh);
>
> Now I get something on the screen, but still no image: image/svg+xml
> Um, is there anything particular I need to put in my code?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Alice

View the source of your browser. Is it showing the SVG code? You need to
output the correct mime-type headers for the SVG, as by default, PHP
outputs headers for HTML. Something like this should do the trick:

header("Content-type: image/svg+xml");

This has to occur before any output has already been sent to the
browser, otherwise you'll get a headers already sent error.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk