RE: Re: splitting a string

From: Shawn McKenzie [mailto:nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Andrew Ballard wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Ashley Sheridan
>> <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

'My.Word.Document.docx'

>>> That was my thought on how operating systems did it. If it maybe
can't
>>> find a matching pattern, then it can fall back to matching anything
>>> after the last period.
>>>
>>> It always puzzles me, because some.archive.tar.gz is a valid file,
but
>>> the extension is .tar.gz and the filename is some.archive. I guess
it
>>> must compare the full filename to a list of knowns, and then try
it's
>>> best after that.
>>
>> While relying on a file's extension to determine the type of its
>> contents is dangerous, isn't archive.tar.gz just a gzip'd file that
>> happens to contain a tarball named archive.tar? In that case,
wouldn't
>> the correct extension just be .gz?
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Yes, or .tgz sometimes.

Most of the time .tgz indicates more than just a gzipped tar file. It
has always been used by Slackware to indicate specific control files
have been added for their package manager.

But that has always been the danger of using the extension instead of
the magic number to identify the file type. Too many extensions have
been overloaded.

Bob McConnell