Intermittent etwork connection errors with apache. Restarting apache temporarily fixes the problem. PHP or apache problem?

Hi - At the top of my php scripts, I have code to connect to our ldap server, in order for the scripts to make ldap requests. I don't have any disconnect call in my code. Lately I have noticed that the apache server will get into a state where connection requests will occasionally fail. When I refresh the page, the connection almost always succeeds on the 2nd attempt. If I restart the apache server, the problem totally goes away for a long period of time. So I assume that somewhere, something is causing connections to stay opened when the script ends, rather than automatically closing them.

This error occurs with other types of network connections that the script makes (besides ldap), so it's not an ldap issue.

How does Apache automatically close connections when the script ends? Is it possible that connections are being left opened? Is there any way to debug the problem, i.e. to see if connections are left opened in some way?

I'm running redhat 5, httpd-2.2.3-31.el5_4.2 php-5.1.6-23.2.el5_3

Thanks. - Mark