mod rewrite

hi

i am using a cms which requires mod_rewrite to be enabled for seo urls

in the wamp that i use in my local machine in the httpd.conf file i have
this line and removed the comment
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

when i view the phpinfo i can see that mod_rewrite is on in the Loaded
Modules

i am guessing that my hosting might not allow to edit the httpd.conf file so
i tried adding the following to the .htaccess which is in the root directory

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

and uploaded the .htaccess file and when i viewed the phpinfo i do not see
mod_rewrite for my webserver

also on my server i would be installing the cms in a separate folder after
the root directory, so i guess the .htaccess file should be
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /foldername

how do i go about enabling mod_rewrite in the .htaccess file as i might not
be able to edit httpd.conf

please advice.

thanks