Re: PHP and SEO Workarounds

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 12:15 -0500, Gautam Bhatia wrote:

> hey folks,
>                 This is in regards to SEO and PHP, From what i have
> read , most (Not all) the PHP Contents is dynamic , which makes it so
> powerfull , but it also means that chances of it being indexed in search
> engines are less , am i right in saying this ? . If so how do i optimize
> my site  for search engines which is being powered by PHP and content is
> Dynamic. Please guide in this regard. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Gautam Bhatia
> mail2gautambhatia@xxxxxxxxx

This is a point you'll see mentioned by most SEO 'experts' none of whom
I've seen can provide any evidence of this. Just think about the last
time you searched for the answer to a question online. I'd hazard a
guess that the most popular results had dynamic URL's such as forum
posts, etc.

While it is true that the URL of a page has some weight to the pages
ranking, it's miniscule compared to the actual content of the page.
There might be an issue with blogs though, the ones where new old posts
get pushed to other pages. So a story that appears on blog.php?page=1
might tomorrow appear on page=2, and then page=3 the day after. If you
have a setup like this, then you could benefit from making more static
type links for the posts, like Wordpress does.

More important for your SEO is getting the content correctly marked up,
i.e. headings in <h_> tags, alt text for images, etc. There's a good
tool for checking these sorts of things at http://nibbler.silktide.com

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk