Re: Checking for internet connection.

The next way to handle this might be to code an AIR app. Then it's a simple js trap to see if connectivity exists.

Bastien

Sent from my iPod

On Dec 19, 2009, at 7:13 PM, "Angus Mann" <angusmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all.

I'w writing a PHP app that is designed to run over a LAN, so internet connection for the server is not really essential. Some users may deliberately not connect it to the internet as a security precaution.

But I'd like the app to make use of an internet connection if it exists to check for an update, and notify the user.

Is there a simple way for a PHP script to check if it has an internet connection?

I thought of this :

if(fsockopen("www.google.com", 80)){
  // we are connected
}

Is this OK or is there something better for the purpose?