A PHP-driven script to determine if the environment is configured correctly (checklist)

Dear list,
e-Greetings,

I've developed some PHP-driven web applications. These applications will be
installed on different
linux-based servers (typically Debian and Redhat). Usually, after I copy the
files to the
server, they DO NOT WORK, so I spend hours to debug the problem. Problems
are very funny,
for example, the program is giving strange errors, and it is not working
because "short_open_tags" are off !

I decided to write a PHP script to check if server's configuration meets my
requirements.
- checking whether some php extensions are loaded, eg. MCrypt.
- checking wheather short_open_tags is ON
- checking whether mod_rewrite is enabled
- etc.

Here's my question:

- How do you check if .htaccess is working, *** via php code *** ?
It's easy to check if .htaccess exists (@php: file_exists), but how to make
sure if .htaccess is working?!
- How do you check if AllowOverride is set to All in apache's configuration?

Please let me know what do you think. Thank you in advance.
-behzad