Re: PHP + ODBC

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Philip Thompson <philthathril@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2009, at 8:47 PM, James McLean wrote:
>> Why not just use the built in MySQL libraries or PDO?
>
> Oh, that would be "my" preference. However, the database that I
> really need to connect to is an MSSQL one and the allowed connection
> type is ODBC.

Is there any chance that you have to work with fields that will return
more than 4k of text? If so, you may have problems with ODBC. I can't
remember if I ever used odbc_connect() and its related functions with
SQL Server (I mostly use it to read Excel spreadsheets), but I know we
couldn't use PDO (with either the PDO_MSSQL or PDO_ODBC drivers)
because of a limit on TEXTSIZE that we couldn't get around. On our
older stuff, we're still using the mssql library, but on our newer
stuff we're using the SQL Server Driver for PHP. It connects via ODBC,
but it is the best library I've found for working with SQL Server in
PHP.

Andrew