Re: Learning PHP

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Robert H <sigzero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What is a good beginners programming book for PHP? I like "dead trees" more
> than reading stuff on my screen, so I am looking for a book.

O'Reilly is good for getting the facts.  You could start with Programming PHP:

   http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565926103/

Check the O'Reilly PHP page for more resources, some printed:

   http://oreilly.com/php/

If you're looking for books that specifically cover PHP's OO features,
there are lots of older books on pre-5.3 features, like Zandstra's PHP
5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice (2004):

   http://www.amazon.com/PHP-5-Objects-Patterns-Practice/dp/1590593804/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260652305&sr=8-3

Although if you're new to OOP you may want to read more general books
on the subject and then work your way back to the features available
in the version of PHP that you need to use.

In general, the best publishers I've found are O'Reilly, The Pragmatic
Programmers, Apress and Packt.

Best,

--
Andrew Brookins