Re: how to prevent a mild DOSS attack?

On Nov 28, 2009, at 9:24 AM, LAMP wrote:

LinuxManMikeC wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 16:38 -0600, LAMP wrote:

hi guys,
this morning I got complains from website owner and tons of visitors -
nobody was able to access the website. it will just timeout.
I contacted hosting company for more info but they said the virtual privet server, where the website is, has a lot of traffic and 512MB of RAM is not enough and I have to make an upgrade to at least 1GB etc.
it does a make a sense.
though, at 4pm I, nor 10 other people I asked for help, was able to
access to the website.
it was a little bit fishy about BIG traffic whole day long (the website is far from it) and, since I don't have a problem accessing WHM/ cPanel of the server, I downloaded apache access file (stupid, I supposed to do it in the morning) and found 20-30 IP addresses, repeatedly were trying to access one (only one) page (something like article.php). and they were requesting the same page so frequently - nobody else was able to access to the website. it looked to me like a little DOSS attack - where attacker wanted just to make the website busy, not to crush the server. I contacted hosting company again. they said there is nothing they can do about this- even I'm paying them to manage my virtual server (I can manage this way by my self too). of course they can if I pay extra :-(

now, my question is: is there anything I can do to stop these attacks
using php? something? anything?

thanks

There's nothing you could do with PHP to fix this really, as trying to block IP addresses from there would be expensive for the processor and
memory of the server.

You could use the cPanel to block access to the offending IP addresses
though.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Ok... serious answer.  The DoS is either coming from script kiddies
dumb enough to do it from their own IP, or its coming from a bot-net
comprised of computers who's owners are morons and don't keep their
computer secure. Either way, do a WHOIS, reverse DNS query, and
traceroute on the IPs.  You should be able to find the ISPs of the
attacking systems.  Email the ISP tech department with your info and
let them take care of the offending systems.

In my case, on the beginning was 20-30 different IPs. After they are blocked there was much more IPs :-(
But, never was thinking that way.
What I have to send to ISP?  my access log file?

You can try http://deflate.medialayer.com

- aurf