Re: is Aptana taking a crap on the face of PHP?

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've never even heard of Aptana... I use Joe...it's a terminal based editor.
> Works anywhere you have a terminal... just like other popular editors such
> as vi :)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
>

> Daevid Vincent wrote:
>>
>> Whoa, am I reading this right that Aptana is basically moving away from
>> PHP??
>>  https://aptanastudio.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/58-aptana-20
>>
>> https://aptanastudio.tenderapp.com/discussions/questions/75-aptana-no-longer
>> -has-php
>> http://www.aptana.org/php
>>  It sounds like they put in the old PHP 1.1 plug-in just to shut the angry
>> mob up, but I don't get the feeling they plan to do any further PHP
>> development. That is a real shame as Zend Studio NEEDS competition.
>>  I guess PDT (http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/) may end up benefiting from
>> this,
>> but I suspect it will be some time to come before the two projects are
>> merged properly. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this *IS* the
>> best
>> solution for the long term. In the mean time, I can't help but feel a
>> piece
>> of the PHP community just "died"... well, maybe "moved away" is more
>> accurate.
>>  I do find it a little ironic as I just started a new project on Monday
>> and
>> was fully expecting to develop it all using Aptana. Guess I'll stick with
>> 1.5 for now (warts and all).
>>  How is PDT? I tried to install it with Aptana 1.5 and it failed:
>>  Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not
>> be
>> found.
>>  Software being installed: PDT Runtime Feature 2.0.0.v20090315-1850
>> (org.eclipse.php.feature.group 2.0.0.v20090315-1850)
>>  Missing requirement: PDT Runtime Feature 2.0.0.v20090315-1850
>> (org.eclipse.php.feature.group 2.0.0.v20090315-1850) requires
>> 'org.eclipse.dltk.core.feature.group [1.0.0,2.0.0)' but it could not be
>> found
>>  ooops, found my own solution to that one:
>>
>> https://aptanastudio.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/328-aptana-php-platf
>> orm-and-pdt-not-available
>>
>> https://aptanastudio.tenderapp.com/faqs/third-party-plugins/aptana-studio-an
>> d-php-development-tools
>>  First impressions:
>>
>> *       The amazing color coding that Aptana had for PHP (down to
>> individual
>> left and right braces even!) is gone!!!
>> *       The PHP code formatter is also gone!!
>> *       Code assist and completion is gone too for any functions NOT on
>> the
>> current page. It doesn't even know the name of variables WITHIN a
>> function!
>> THIS F'ING BLOWS.

> [...]

Damn, meant to send to all

The issue here is that there are a lot of choices in the PHP space.
Eclipse, Aptana, Komodo, Zend, a host of various simpler text editors.
Aptana has chosen not to compete in this space and its their choice.
Personally, I use NetBeans or Komodo when I require something with a
bit of power. The biggest issue with IDEs that I have, is they are so
damn slow to start. Some of the smaller text editors are much quicker
to start and have most of what I need to do what we all have so much
fun doing.
--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat