Re: Preview button to show PDF without submitting post data?

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:42 +0100, Sándor Tamás (HostWare Kft.) wrote:

> Oh, I see. To the user.
> I mean he can chose options how he wants to see datas, then on PHP I
> generate the html or csv, then make it printed on the users printer
> (of course, he can chose which printer he wants to use).

> I mean what printer? One local to you (at the server) or to the user?
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Copying back the general list in again.

You can't print out a PDF to the local users printer without opening a
new window or frame, and you'll need Javascript to do that as well. What
you could do is open up the new window, run the print command on that
window with Javascript, and then user Javascript to close that window
afterwards. This relies on the user having a PDF reader plugin in their
browser. I doubt I'm alone when I say that I hate this plugin, and tend
to remove it on my computers, in which case, the PDF will attempt to be
downloaded by the browser.

There's nothing that PHP can do with this, as PHP has nothing to do with
what the user agent (browser) does with the content.