Re: PHP String convention

Hi Nick

Nick Cooper wrote on 2009-10-28 17:29:

Thank you for the quick replies. I thought method 2 must be faster
because it doesn't have to search for variables in the string.

So what is the advantages then of method 1 over 3, do the curly braces
mean anything?

1) $string = "foo{$bar}";

2) $string = 'foo'.$bar;

3) $string = "foo$bar";

I must admit reading method 1 is easier, but writing method 2 is
quicker, is that the only purpose the curly braces serve?

Yes, you're right about that. 10 years ago I went to a seminar were Rasmus Lerforf was speaking and asked him exactly that question. The single qoutes are preferred and are way faster because it doesn´t have to parse the string, only the glued variables.

Also we discussed that if you´re doing a bunch of HTML code it's considerably faster to do:

Than
print "
\n\t<tr>
  \n\t\t<td>$data</td>
\n\t</tr>";

or
print '

I remember benchmark testing it afterwards back then and there was clearly a difference.

--
Kind regards
Kim Emax - masterminds.dk