Issues with MySQL connectivity ... on only one machine, and for a while now

Oct 25 22:00:01 sql02 php: PHP Warning:  mysqli_connect():
(HY000/2013): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'sending
authentication information', system error: 32 in
/home/foo/web/foo.com/core.php on line 2394

It's either this or one or two others. What is odd is I have switched
to making it sockets only - doesn't seem to help. I think it was
anyway, it's all over localhost. It wasn't always like this either.

Can't seem to find any reason for it. Scripts are able to connect at
near lightning speed, do 20+ queries a page load and disconnect
without an issue before it even shows up in a "show processlist" but
I'm seeing issues with disconnections on localhost.

I wanted to upgrade to PHP 5.3.x to use the mysqli.reconnect option,
but I don't think the code will work 100% - does anyone else have any
ideas? I have a second server, same specs, being beaten (not as hard,
but decently) that exhibits none of these behaviors.

mysql 5.0.75 on ubuntu jaunty 64-bit
php 5.2.11 (but has been showing this issue since 5.2.9 if not
earlier, I didn't start tracking it then)

I don't understand why it would be having issues during the
authentication phase especially over localhost or socket!?! I think
this might be more of a question for the PHP community than the MySQL
one; I've tried some additional MySQL tuning and it doesn't seem to
help, and the error comes from PHP, I can't reproduce it any other
way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!