Re: Fedora 11 PHP install problems

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 13:19 -0400, Israel Ekpo wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         Hiya,
>
>         I know this isn't the best place to ask, but I figured enough
>         people
>         here would have at some point installed PHP on some Linux
>         variant, and
>         I'm hoping that some of you may have even done it on Fedora
>         11.
>
>         I'm using the built in gui package manager in Fedora
>         (kpackagekit) to
>         install php, mysql and php-mysql. I let it resolve the
>         dependencies and
>         install, but phpMyAdmin refuses to connect to the Mysql
>         database with
>         the default username and password (root, no password) even
>         though I can
>         successfully connect to plain old Mysql over the command line
>         with
>         "mysql -u root -p"
>
>         I thought it was some problem with the built in repositories,
>         so I
>         attempted to build PHP from source, and after sorting out the
>         dependencies manually, I got PHP installed and working from
>         the command
>         line. However, when I try to start httpd up again, it gives me
>         the
>         following error:
>
>         libphp5.so: undefined symbol: OnUpdateLong
>
>         I ran a nm command against the libphp5.so file, and the first
>         line is "
>         U OnUpdateLong" (intentional spaces there)
>
>         Has anyone come across either of these problems and do you
>         know of a way
>         to overcome either one? All I need really is a way to get it
>         working, so
>         don't mind whether it's via the GUI or the command line!
>
>         Thanks,
>         Ash
>         http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>

> Hi Ashey,
>
> What version of PHP did you compile?
>
> What were your ./configure options?
>
> It looks like the php source is using OnUpdateLong but the source file
> containing OnUpdateLong is not included or linked properly.
>
> I have ran into this kind of problem before.
> --
> "Good Enough" is not good enough.
> To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
> Quality First. Measure Twice. Cut Once.

I've actually got some steps closer to figuring out the problem. It
seems that the connection between PHP and MySQL was fine, it just
refused a connection as root. If I create another user it connects via
phpMyAdmin just fine.

The thing now is figuring out either how to get it to connect as root
(it currently keeps refusing root) or create another user with all the
privileges of root so I can connect with that. As of yet I haven't been
able to figure out either!