Re: Spam opinions please

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 08:55 +0100, Peter Ford wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >

> > Won't stop a bot worth it's salt either, hence the need for more complex
> > and confusing captchas. The best way to stop spam, is to use linguistic
> > testing on the content being offered, which protects against bot and
> > human spammer alike.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> Unfortunately, it might also confound someone who doesn't speak the language.
> Admittedly, they would probably already be struggling with the rest of the site...
>
> I guess locale-dependent captchas are a possibility.
>

> --
> Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
> Developer                               fax:   01580 893399
> Justcroft International Ltd., Staplehurst, Kent

I'm not talking about language problems for the user to solve. This
question originally started by the op asking for solutions to human
spam, but most of what I've seen so far in the thread is all about how
to stop bots. By Linguistic analysis, I'm talking about passing the user
offered content through a filter to check for the probability that it is
spam. This goes beyond just looking for spammy words by looking at the
relationship between words, frequency of words, and much more. It's very
complex, but by the end of it, each post gets a rating value, which can
be used as part of a threshold to reach in order to have a post
automatically verified.