Re: php mail() function

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 06:24:14PM -0700, James Prentice wrote:

> How would I determine my ISP's SMPT server ID? And do I need to edit
> main.cf in order to use that server?

What ID? There's no ID needed. You just configure postfix to relay any
non-local mail sent to it to the SMTP server at your ISP. Check the
headers in incoming mail sent to you for the name of that server. It's
likely the same for both incoming and outgoing mail. Something like
mail.myisp.com.

One other note. People look at me like I'm crazy when I mention this,
but I've seen it quite a bit at various internet mail servers.
Sometimes, in order to accept email from you, the internet mail server
must see you *receive* mail within a certain time period prior. That is,
you have to go fetch your mail at the ISP, which opens a "window" into
the SMTP server for a limited time. Then you can tender mail to the
internet mail server. I don't know that your internet mail server
operates this way, but it's something to consider. I've had to deal with
this before myself.

Configuring local SMTP servers, like postfix. Check and see if Ubuntu
has some sort of setup utility for this. Or try

dpkg-reconfigure postfix

Setting up mail servers is tedious and error prone, unless you've done
it a lot. Read The Fine Manual on postfix.

> Also, is there a way to test the script just sending an email locally?
> I tried sending the email to userid@localhost, but the email was still
> not received.

It will work, assuming three things:

1. You have an actual user set up on the system to receive mail. That
is, an actual user on the system, with an entry in the passwd file and a
home directory, etc.

2. Postfix is configured to deliver truly local mail to local addresses.
More postfix configuration fun.

3. Postfix is actually running and properly configured. If not
configured properly, it may refuse to run.

In any case, linuxmanmikec's comment about the internet mail server not
trusting you on a dynamic IP is spot on. The web of email trust is such
that internet mail servers only trust other internet mail servers. And
*your* internet mail server will trust *you*. So to get mail to that
other internet mail server over there, you'll have to give it to *your*
internet mail server, which is the only one that internet mail server
over there will trust. The "bounce" message you got indicates that
relaying from you is forbidden at the destination mail server.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster