Re: Spam opinions please

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 15:36 -0300, Jonathan Tapicer wrote:
>
> That will work just for one IP, but they could spam you from another
> IP. I suggest you add a good captcha to the form and that way you can
> avoid spam forever.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan
>
> Firstly, in_array() is used in his example, so it will look for all the IP addresses in the array, not just one.
>
> Secondly, even the best captchas can be got around. Just look at what happened to Google a while back. And then what if you make the captcha too hard to discern? You'd essentially be breaking the law by impeding hard of seeing or blind users...
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Even if he puts a list or range of IPs he could always be attacked
from an IP not in that list/range.

About the blind users, he can use recaptcha (recently aquired by
Google), http://recaptcha.net/, which has an audio version captcha.

I'm not saying that the filter by IP won't work, but it won't be 100%
effective, and a captcha will.

Regards,

Jonathan