Sanitizing potential MySQL strings with no database connection

How can I configure mysql_real_escape_string() to _not_ need a
database connection in order to do it's work on a string. I understand
that the function wants a database connection to determine which
charset / encoding is in use, but in my case it will always be UTF-8.

I have a file of reusable functions that I include in several scripts,
one of them is a MySQL sanitation function, like this:
function clean_mysql ($dirty) {
    $dirty=trim($dirty);
    $clean=mysql_real_escape_string($dirty);
    return $clean;
}

As different scripts reuse this code but connect to different
databases, I need the function to work independently of the database
connection. In other words, the include file cannot connect to the
database but it still must perform the mysql_real_escape_string()
function on UTF-8 data.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

--
Dotan Cohen