Re: XML RSS - Unexpected End of File error

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 15:54 -0300, Jonathan Tapicer wrote:
>
>> Can you show the generated XML?
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Ashley Sheridan
>> <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I've knocked up a quick RSS feed on my site. It works fine in Fx 2 & 3,
>>> in Opera it throws an error "unexpected end of file" but allows the feed
>>> to be added anyway, and Chrome just says there's an XML error, and gives
>>> the second from last line as the one containing the error.
>>>
>>> I tried adding a newline to the end of the file, but that just makes the
>>> error message report the next line. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? The
>>> file is using utf-8 character encoding.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ash
>>> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>>>

> Nevermind, I was having a "moment"! I'd forgotten to close the final
> tag, as I mistook the root <rss> tag for an XML declaration instead! I
> am a little surprised that Fx allowed it to validate correctly though!
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Well, don't forget, Fx will correct SGML and HTML that is missing tags.

I think Fx would rather simply accept the incorrect format, correct it (since it
wasn't a fatal error), and finally display what it figures you /intended/ to
send it.

I hate it when software tries to assume what I meant to say...  :-(