RE: Self-Process php forms or not?

At 1:00 PM +0100 10/1/09, MEM wrote:
One last question about this:

I've done a self submit form, after hearing all the advantages expressed
here.
But how could we relate, without using javascript, a self submit form with a
"success page" or a "confirmation page" that doesn't show the form?

Can please someone throw me some infos about this please?

MEM:

Here's what I do -- it's pretty simple.

I use a hidden input variable I call "step" and monitor it as the user clicks whatever form submit they are on -- it works like so:

$step = isset($_POST['step']) ? $_POST['step'] : 0;

switch ($step)
   {
  case 0: // present the first form to the user
  // collect data
  // you can enhance the user experience by using javascript here.
  // <input type=hidden name=step value=1>
   break;

  case 1: // present second form to the user
  // clean data
  // if data OK then record data in db <input type=hidden name=step value=2>
  // if data not OK then send user back <input type=hidden name=step value=0>
   break;

  case 2: //present the third form to the user
  // success, or confirmation, or thank you page
   break;
   }

Now, to make things easier for the user, be sure to set session variables for all the data collected in the first form so that IF you send the user back to the first form, the user doesn't have to reenter everything.

HTH,

tedd
--
-------