Re: POST without POSTing

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 00:41, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> fsockopen() appears to be part of the standard network functions in PHP,
> like the header() function. Do you mean that many hosts support the
> function (as part of PHP) but don't support its use with external hosts?
> Is there a way to determine this support from looking at phpinfo()?

    fsockopen() is a socket function, as the name suggests.  Hosts can
disable the usage of sockets.  In fact, check Google and you'll see
several folks complaining of their host having it disabled.

    As for fopen(), there's a php.ini value `allow_url_fopen` that a
lot of hosts have set to 'no,' I'm sure with the intent to increase
security.... but when you can still use cURL and exec('wget'), it kind
of defeats the purpose.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx || danbrown@xxxxxxx