RE: (was: anchor inside form) js switched on/off

> You can use javascript behind a button or image or link to submit the
> form from anywhere in your html page. You don't need the anchor but
> you do need a form name. Something like:
>
>   href="javascript:document.FormName.submit();"
>
> Cheers
> Arno

And all it takes for that to break is for someone to turn off Javascript...

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

-------------

Ash, from what I've seen you enjoy "engaging" in a debate. Well here's
something you'll no doubt want to engage in: the number of people who have
javascript switched off vs the number of people using browsers that support
all the latest ajax-type gizmos. I've not seen anyone told not to go the
ajax route, but it's amazing how concerned some people are about whether
javascript is switched on or not (the fact that js is required for ajax
seems to be overlooked). When w3schools was still keeping stats about it
they showed about 5% of users had js switched off (though they conceded the
stats were unreliable - tech types go to w3schools and they're much more
likely to mess with browser settings than the average user). Generally it's
accepted that the average joe doesn't know how to switch js off, or even why
they would want to. When we investigated sites where this is specifically
measured (e.g. a banking site, which I once worked on) users who had js
switched off were prompted to switch it on, and logs showed that 100% of
those users reloaded the page with js switched on (and our stats, during the
launch phase, showed much less than .5% users had js switched off in the
first place). Generally we found that requiring js was a complete non-issue.
I've subsequently found this is true on other sites I've worked on, even
when users are not prompted. With navigation menus using js more frequently
these days and the increased use of ajax, browsing with js switched off is
almost not an option anymore. I'm sure, Ash, you'll tell me how corporate
firewalls strip javascripts - I'd be interested if you can point out an
example and show how common this is. And as for "most people" telling you js
is a bad idea - is this true? Do you have stats to back up your statement,
or are you just stating your perception as a fact?

A second point, Ash, is that you yourself have mentioned coding javascript,
and have suggested the use of ajax as a solution to others - I presume you
know what the "j" in ajax is? I've even seen you providing javascript
solutions without any concern as to whether js was switched on or not.
Perhaps your concern about js is selectively applied to certain posts rather
than real-world situations?

BTW I'm not in a debating mood - I've made my point, no doubt Ash you'll
make yours, and I'll leave it at that. But if anyone else has any further
info regarding real-world stats or experience about js switched on or off it
would be very interesting to hear.

Cheers
Arno