Re: How to make sure that the target file to read is not under writing by others?

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:59:39AM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> No, what you're saying is 'use a log file in order to know when to look
> at another log file'. What would happen if you tried to access the
> control log file whilst it was in the process of being written to?
> Admittedly, you reduce your chances of failure because there is less
> data being written to the control log than the actual log, but the
> chance of reading incomplete data is still there!

WARNING: total newbie here.

If I understood Arno correctly, he was recommending to implement
something like the old "/var/run/*pid" files in UNIX.  That way, you can
control whether or not the previous run is already done with the file
before you move on.