Re: daemon without pcntl_fork

2009/8/17 Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I want this to be a system that works out of the box.  For the most part.
>
> I am expecting to have phone system vendors and low-level IT personal trying
> to install this thing.
>
> I don't want to have to field tons of questions on "How do I compile this
> p&#*(_fork thing into PHP?
>
> Anyways, could I compile a customer build of the php cli and include that
> into my package?

Certainly! You haven't mentioned how you intend to package it though,
so that "Certainly!" does come with some caveats. But including pcntl
is no different from including any other extension--in fact, the
chances of the target system being able to deal with it are greater,
if anything. If you compile it in, it'll be there. However, if it's
going to be limited to the point that you're including binaries only
for a specific platform, then A) compiling it in is no big deal, and
B) perhaps you should be looking at how you're packaging the thing.

> Would things be statically links to the binary.  ie every thing it needed
> would be built into it. Or would I have to rip out as much as possible to
> make sure that it was compatible with a persons system?

Not sure what you mean by that, but if the target audience isn't
competent to deal with this, then your support calls are going to hurt
either way. :) Which is why I said perhaps you should be looking at
how you're packaging it. Anything you compile on one system is going
to require some forethought in order to make it broadly applicable on
other systems, but any relevant system should be able to handle the
basics such as process control.

Regards,

Torben