Re: Upgrading to PHP5.2.x

'Twas brillig, and Alberto García Gómez at 11/08/09 16:05 did gyre and gimble:
Dear Fellows:

I want ot upgrade my PHP from 5.1.x to 5.2.x. I want to do using rpm, but any time that I going to upgrade the rpm request me more dependencies.

How can I configure my rpm (or other command) to automaticly satisfy my dependencies.

This sounds very much like you are mixing and matching different sources of RPMs.

Linux distributions are not like Windows machines where you can just install any given application, they are an integrated set of interdependant packages.

It is not at all recommended (read: a very bad idea) to install e.g. RPMs build for one OS version (e.g. RHEL 5.x) on an older version (e.g. RHEL 4.x). Doing so can cause numerous problems due to compiler changes/optimisations and small ABI breakages that are incompatible with the dynamic libraries used etc.

Even if you do pull in all the dependancies when installing a RHEL5 version of PHP on RHEL4 (just an example), it will not necessarily work for the above reasons.

Similarly, if you do run into problems you will not get any support (paid or otherwise) for such a setup.

So please don't undertake this upgrade without fully appreciating what is going on. If you really want to install the RHEL5 version on RHEL4 (again just a random example of a distro), you should download the source rpms and rebuild them on RHEL4. You may have to rebuild quite a few dependant packages to get a fully working system.

HTHs

Col.

--

Colin Guthrie