file upload question

Hey all,

i am using move_upload function to upload files to the server, but i want to add a feature that will allow files to be archived that have been uploaded already.

so, the problem is:

i upload a file that i want to "upgrade" and move the old file to an archive directory but I want to verify the NEW file is upload BEFORE moving the old file (the file being uploaded might not have the same filename as the old file currently on the server)..

i want to move the old file only when the new file was successfully uploaded. something like:

if(move_uploaded_file(....))
{
       rename(...);
}

only one problem.. then if both files have the same name it will be overwritten before it moves the old one i want to save. if i move the old one first, there still the possibility of the new upload failing so i am back to square one..

i guess i can move_upload to a different directory, verify it's been uploaded, move the old to the archive file, then move the new file back to where it should be (where the archive file was)..

is that my only option? any suggestions?