GeoIP Character Encoding

Hey,

I'm using the PECL GeoIP module on php 5.2.10. When I look up an IP
address, the geoip_record_by_name() function is giving me a string
that contains "special" characters, such as the following:

'Portugal, 09, Vila Real De Santo António'
'Norway, 08, Ålesund'
'Portugal, 04, Vila Nova De Famalicão'

(Note the ó, Å, and ã).

I'm using PostgreSQL as my database. The database's encoding is UTF8,
and the locale is C.

When I try to insert the above strings into a VARCHAR column, I get
errors similar to the following:

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xf36e696f
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xc56c
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe36f2c

Now, I believe I can solve the problem by changing the client_encoding
of my postgresql client (Right now, it is set to UTF8). However, I'm
trying to figure out what encoding the GeoIP function is returning to
me so that I can set the client_encoding appropriately. Is it LATIN1?
How can I figure it out? And can I change it to UTF8?

Thank you for your time.