Re: Font problem

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 08:52 -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
> Dušan Novaković wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a possibility that if there is no font installed on client
> > side somehow browser finds it and redirect that font form server to
> > client machine. For example: I have site that use Microsoft font and
> > that font is not available on Linux distributions. So when u open page
> > in FF on some Linux u get some default font (because browser doesn't
> > recognize that font). I hope that I've managed to explane a problem
> > :-) Does anyone has any solution for this problem??? Please it's very
> > urgent....
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dusan
> >

> It is possible, but you have to use the proper type of font file.
>
> It is usually referred to as "Font Embedding" or "Embedding Fonts" using CSS
>
> here are a few pages that show examples of how to do this with CSS
>
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssatten
> http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-37552.html
> http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/fdc-varia/font-embedding.htm
> http://www.cameraontheroad.com/index.php?p=524

There are issues with those you mentioned.

The first uses images instead of text, which can be made accessible with
the CSS method they use, but it's no good for a whole page of text, and
only small bits and headings.

The second, well, browser support just isn't up to scratch yet. IE has
its own font format to use, not everone has upgraded to the latest
Firefox, Chrome doesn't even support it yet, etc. Same goes for the
third way, which seems to be a cross of 1 & 2.

Basically, there is no way to guarantee what it will look like, which is
annoying really. Wait a bit until all the browsers support it and are in
common use.

Thanks
Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk