Re: Imposing a range on what is stored in a session variable

On 7/27/09 9:40 AM, "Jim Lucas" <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Miller, Terion wrote:
> I want to store only 1000 records at a time in the session variable thought I could use a range(1,1000....
>
> How would you do this, store the first 1000 , then the second on refresh etc
>
> My snippet so far

>                                             // Process all results into $_SESSION array                                                                       $position = 1;                                                                            while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))                                      {                                      $_SESSION['fullRestaurantList'][$position] = $row;                                      $position++;                                                                             foreach(range('1','1000') as $c){                                                   ($position == $c)
>                                                     $_SESSION['totalNumberOfRestaurants'] = $c;                                      }                                                                                                                                                    }

Use the mysql function for this called LIMIT.  It LIMITs the amount of
data returned.

SELECT * FROM table_name LIMIT 1000

1. it will make your SQL calls much faster
2. it will use less memory

But that limits results right, if a query generated more then 1000 records how would a user be able to access 1001 ..put the query in a loop?