Re: newbie - Is there a calendar module for date entry?

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 08:41 -0700, cool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Jonathan Tapicer wrote:
> >
> > That is javascript thing, not PHP.
> >
> > The Yahoo UI has a nice one, here you have an example:
> > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/calendar/
> > calcontainer_clean.html,
> > and here the module reference:
> > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/calendar/
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > --
> >

> The Yahoo UI looks great.
>

> On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:50 AM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > When I do these sorts of things, I tend to use Tigra calendar. They do
> > two versions, the free and the pro version, but tbh, the free one does
> > everything you need. It's very easy to set up too.
> >

> Hi Ashley - the free one seems to be just the thing. - thanks
>
> Thanks to all - They both look good - I'm checking them out now!
>
> Another newbie question: storing dates and times...
>
> I'm trying to build a simple notepad page where I can attach a date
> and even time field. So this Tigra or yahoo calendar will be great
> date picker helper.
>
> This is for the US, so I'd like the user to see normal us formatting
> like:
>
> date field -  7/1/2009 and separate time field like: 11:30 AM
>
> mysql can use a DATE or TIME or datetime field type. and seems to use
> a different standard like: YYYY-MM-DD I want to to be able to do date
> calcs and such - so what is the best way (types) to store these
> fields in mysql and display them on the page with php?
>
> I do know about some of the cool php functions like:
>
> echo date('m-d-y g:i a', strtotime($row_this['myDate']));
>
> so do I? ... store the date and time in separate fields then
> manipulate the display with php functions or???
>
> - just looking for any favorite practices....
>

> --
> Thanks - RevDave
> Cool @ hosting4days . com
> [db-lists 09]

If you want to be doing date calculations within MySQL then you should
MySQL's datetime or date type. You can use the date() function of PHP to
format the date for display however you wish though, which might be
worth looking at?

Thanks
Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk