Sub Menu System?

Folks,

I'm developing a rather large site in PHP. The main horizontal nav bar
never changes, no matter how deep you are in the site. However, on the
left side is a vertical "sub-menu" system. This menu is proving to be a
real pain to program. I have it limited the menu system to 3 levels:

MAIN:
 |___Secondary pages
   |___Tertiary pages

For each level, and each folder, I have a file called subnav.php, which
contains the links for that page. It has its own code to determine the
page it's on, and highlight the appropriate menu item.

The problem is when I need to move pages, or add pages, it's proving to
be a REAL PAIN to maintain this type of structure.

Does anyone know of any off-the-shelf product that can create/maintain a
sub-menu system like this?

I don't mind starting over at this point, but I'm hoping there is
something I can just purchase, so I can concentrate on the rest of the
site....hopefully the menu system would support PHP and ASP.

Thanks for any information!