iCal Attachment Format ?

Hi all!

Built an appointment scheduling app, but now the client wants it to send out
an email with the appt attached in iCal format.  I've never dealt with
anything iCal before.

I searched around a bit, and know that there iCal php scripts available, but
I don't need a bunch of rigamarole, just need to create the attachment and
send it on the fly.

But I'm having trouble finding the format.  Anyone know what this looks
like?  Or can point me to a resource?

Rather not scrounge thru someone else's code, or have to install something
just to run it for the format...if I can help it. :)

Thank you,

Jason