Problems with APC, possible cache-corruption?

(Resend from around 1 week ago, because of no responses)

Hi All,

Over the weekend I setup a test of APC intending to benchmark a Moodle
installation with various APC settings to see how well I could get it
to perform. I successfully installed Moodle 1.9 and 2.0 under Apache
2.2.3 (installed via apt on Ubuntu 9.04), and with PHP 5.2.9 compiled
from source. I should note, that Ubuntu had an older version of PHP
installed from apt with Suhosin hardened PHP built in. Moodle 2.0
required at least PHP 5.2.8, so I uninstalled the original PHP module
before compiling and installing the 5.2.9.

No issues there; PHP worked well and performance was (mostly) acceptable.

Progressed onto installing APC, firstly by downloading the APC 3.1.2
source from PECL and following the usual 'phpize, configure, make,
make install' process which worked as expected, stop and start Apache
and APC was present in my phpinfo();. I started with the reccomended
PHP config exept with error_display turned on and E_ALL | E_STRICT
enabled, and also the reccomended APC config also.

I copied the 'apc.php' from the source tree to my webroot and changed
the password as suggested.

The issue arose when I attempted to benchmark my Moodle install with
'ab' (I realise it only downloads the single page, but it's good
enough for what I need for now though) and the result was no different
to before I had installed APC. View the apc.php page, and the only
page cached is apc.php itself.. Certainly not what I've witnessed in
the past. Then what would happen was if I viewed my seperate info.php
page containing simply the opening PHP tag and a single line with
phpinfo(); in the file - the cache would appear to reset, and it would
firstly not load the info.php into the cache, it would reset the
counter on the apc.php file back to 0.

Through all of this, there was no errors displayed on the screen and
no errors listed in the Apache error log either. Increased the Apache
log level up to Debug, and no related information was displayed.
Moodle itself worked as expected with no errors, and on a seperate
RHEL installation I have Moodle working with APC and it is caching all
it's files as expected.

At this point, I thought it may be an issue with the module I compiled
myself. I backed up the module, and allowed PECL to install the
module, it installed 3.0.19. Restarted Apache and verified the version
was as PECL had built and installed.

This had no effect, and yeilded the same behaviour.

I'm stumped as to what the issue could be, however I did see this
issue of APC not caching files on an installation of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux in the past - however at the time we assumed it was
an issue with the framework we were using and due to time constraints
simply ran without APC and didn't investigate further.

Has anyone seen this issue in the past and perhaps even rectified it?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

James