RE: Re: sloppiness & stupidity

On 17 June 2009 23:56, PJ advised:

> Nisse Engström wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:18:09 +0100, "Ford, Mike" wrote:
>>

>>> This is very true -- but XHTML requires *all* attributes to have a
>>> value, so an XHTML conformant page will use <select multiple="multiple"
>>> name="selector"> (or something similar such as <select multiple="yes"
>>> name="selector">). The only inconsistency here is that different people
>>> have chosen to validate against different standards.
>>>

>> The multiple attribute only has one value: "multiple", so
>> it has to be <select multiple="multiple">. I don't think
>> "yes" cuts the mustard. In HTML, you can shorten it to <select multiple>.
>>
> From my limited experience, and vast reading of those glorious 20,000
> entries on the Internet, multiple does not take a parameter. I had my
> fingers slapped once when I validated or something - multiple is just
> plain multiple ! :-P ;-) :-)

Oh, good grief! Did you even read what you've quoted from me above?

If you code to an HTML standard, then multiple can indeed be just plain multiple, but HTML 4 does allow the addition of ="multiple" for compatibility reasons.

But if you code to an XHTML standard, multiple must be multiple="multiple", as XHTML **requires** that all attributes have an argument, and (as I've just learned!) "multiple" is the only valid argument for the multiple attribute.

No modern browser that I know of will object to the multiple="multiple" usage.

Cheers!

Mike

 --
Mike Ford,  Electronic Information Developer,
C507, Leeds Metropolitan University, Civic Quarter Campus,