Re: Re: sloppiness & stupidity

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:59:36 -0400, tedd wrote:

> As I understand it and is my experience, that is
> true -- a stand-alone HTML attribute should be
> equal to itself, such as selected="selected", or

In HTML (as opposed to XHTML), there are a bunch of
shortcut features[1] that allow you to write
<option selected=selected> or <option selected>
with exactly the same meaning.

> more specifically selected="SELECTED". However,

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. The
selected attribute is case insensitive in HTML, so
there is no difference between the two.

> it will still work but will throw a validation
> error/warning in some DOCTYPEs, such as XHTLM. I
> don't know of any other DOCTYPE that might throw
> such as error.

XHTML is different. It doen't have nearly as many
shortcuts as HTML, and tends to be more sensitive
about case. I don't know (and don't care) about the
exact details.

[1]: They have technical names that I can't remember.
     Look them up in the SGML standard.

/Nisse