Re: High ID (unique, auto increment) causes slow responses on PHP (MySQL)

2009/6/13 דניאל דנון <danondaniel@xxxxxxxxx>:
>  I've built a certain system where every time new user enters it creates a
> "guest row" on "guests" table. he also gets an identifying cookie.
>
> The table contains several fields, one of them is ID which is auto increment
> and unique
>
> When he does a certain action it gets recorded in the "done_action" table
> with several fields on it, one of them is "guest_id" and his ID on it.
>

> Problem is the guests table has about 30,000 rows (which means ID is high).
>
>  I was wondering whether I should somehow change how the system works.
>
> I've thought about couple of options
>
> A weekly "cleanup" job. opens a table called "guests_tmp", *copies* all data
> from guests to guests_tmp.
>
> every row it copies it also changes the ID on the table done_action.
>
> What do you  think?

I think your problem has nothing to do with high IDs. I have tables in
MySQL with primary key IDs that have recently passed 2 billion and
they're still as responsive as they were with 1 row!!

What specific operations are slow, and are you sure it's the MySQL
query that's being slow and not something in the surrounding code? If
it is the MySQL query what is it and what engine are your tables
using?

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/