Re: Preventing XSS Attacks

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Nitsan Bin-Nun<nitsanbn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Usually I would support you on this one. In chemistry you always keep
> your stock "pure" and make any observations or mixtures in clean and
> other glasses in order to keep it pure.
>
> When it comes to printing an output or hosting it in a variables and
> then printing it out it is just a matter of taste.

It is a matter of taste. If I see a variable named $searchTerms, I
expect it to have the only the (appropriately sanitized) search terms
in it without any specific escape sequences. For me, it's the same
problem I have with magic_quotes (and related variants). If the
magic_quotes setting is enabled, you have to call stripslashes() on
the variable before you do just about anything with it, such as
passing it to htmlspecialchars(), mysql_real_escape_string(), a DBMS
other than MySQL, etc.

All I'm saying is that if I want to assign the returned value of an
escape function to a variable, I use a new variable whose name
describes its purpose -- Ash's $dbSearchTerms variable does just this
-- rather than assigning it back to the original variable. (I do
sometimes make an exception when the variable's scope is inside a
function whose sole purpose is to escape the value and then do
something with the escaped value.) I just often skip the extra
variable and use the function return value directly unless having the
extra variable makes the code more readable -- as a matter of taste.
:-)

Andrew