RE: MySQL after oracle, still Wise?, was Web application design .......

From: Sancar Saran

> And if you so much thinking about future DB change. Just wrote
compatible sql
> and use multi drive layer (phpADO db).
>
> And you are problem free

I have some questions about this suggestion. We currently have
production systems using Postgres, Sybase ASA, Oracle and MS SQL Server.
Only one product currently supports more than one, it can be installed
with ASA or connect to an existing Oracle server. This unfortunate mix
was brought about by several acquisitions over the past ten years. We
also have a group talking about using MySQL for a portal project. One
product did use MySQL prior to their switch to per server license fees,
which made them far too expensive for the distributed system they were
used in. So that project switched to Postgres.

But what is the ADO layer going to look like in order to support any or
all combinations of these back ends? How much of a kludge will it have
to become?

Is there any code out there that will support most of these, or do we
have to write it all ourselves?

Most of my SQL experience has been with Sybase ASA. I am playing with
Postgres a little bit now, and the differences can be both subtle and
glaring. But I don't know either one well enough to understand how to
design an ADO interface, let alone how to bring in the other options.

Thank you,

Bob McConnell