Re: Web application design considerations - a good reference ?

My suggestion to you is probably mosty a rehashing of what a lot of other
people have said.  I definitely think you should take a good, hard look at
some existing solutions (frameworks, cms's, etc.) and decide whether you
want to use one or not.  In my experience, which is admittedly limited,
pre-fabricated frameworks like those mentioned in this thread often have way
more functionality than you'll actually need, like putting up a painting
with a jackhammer.  If you decide not to use one, you'll at the very least
get a lot of invaluable experience working with PHP and seeing how things
are setup.  Maybe you'll directly emulate a code layout and flow structure,
maybe you'll take a bit from drupal, and a bit from cake, and a bit from
wordpress, or maybe by seeing them, you'll reject their ideas for your own.
No matter what you do, it's exposure to someone else's ideas and through
that, you can help build your own instead of walking down that same road and
falling in the same pitfalls that other people have.

I'd also like to second someone's previous suggestion that you not work
alone.  In my experience, there's pros and cons to every idea and every idea
has a sibling - at least one other way of accomplishing the same task.  If
you surround yourself with good people that know what they're doing and have
a good discourse about how to do A, B and C and bounce ideas off of one
another, there's a good chance that the ultimate product will be much better
than if you had elected to work alone.

That's all I've got

--Eddie